The above picture was taken at the 50th anniversary celebration for St. Mary’s Catholic Church on November 9, 1939. This building, still standing, is located on the corner of Mulberry and William Streets in downtown Goldsboro, across the street from the post office.
The man holding the staff is likely Eugene Joseph McGuinness, the Bishop of Raleigh from 1937-1944. The other men are high ranking officials from the Diocese of Raleigh.
The sermon was given by Monsignor Arthur Raine Freeman. Two of the altar boys listed an article in the News Argus were Richard Griswold and Billy Heeden. The pastor of the church at this time was Reverend F.C. Gorham.